Home > Mobile Phones > Activesync and Office 2010 64bit – no workie

Activesync and Office 2010 64bit – no workie

Today I discovered that my phone wasn’t synchronizing my calendar with my laptop. I am running Windows7 64bit with Office 2010 64bit (yes the recently released RTM from Microsoft). My phone is a T-Mobile Dash smartphone. I upgraded to office 2010 64bit a week or two ago and didn’t really notice a difference since doing so.. until today when i realized my calendar from work wasn’t getting synchronized to my home calendar. :(..

When I did connect my phone to the computer either via Bluetooth or via the USB cable connection, a little window would pop up with just “Error” and nothing else in the box.. When I right clicked on the box in the system tray it had something about Mobile sync center… hmm. Okay so there’s some kind of a problem with the connection.

– I tried uninstalling the smartphone device in Device manager along with the network adapter for the phone – neither of which worked :(. I uninstalled WMDC and reinstalled, deleted partnerships and recreated them – yeah no workie there either.

Checked event logs and found this event:
Log Name: Application
Source: RapiMgr
Date: 5/5/2010 9:24:26 AM
Event ID: 8
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: JDEX
Description:
Windows Mobile-based device failed to connect due to communication (0x80072745) failure (see data for failure code).
Event Xml:
will skip the xml portion of this event.

I searched on the above error message and found a slew of stuff on the web but with no real resolution. For some it was a bang on the device manager object, for others if they just left it plugged in it started working… for yet others it was this or that…

Anyway I tried a bunch of things with no resoution. That is until I stepped in the shower and it just popped into my fron… I remembered I installed 64bit Office 2010 last week… hmmm previously I had 32bit office installed. I wonder…

Sure enough after uninstalling office 2010 64bit and re-installing 32bit… activesync worked again – right away!

whew!… but what a pain. Hopefully something is in the works to get this fixed before it really releases to our customers.

Categories: Mobile Phones
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: